Wednesday

Beware; one little action can create a very unwanted result...

So we decided to spend a nice, sunny day at our local lake, Lake Lahontan. This is the closest lake to our home, about 20 minutes away. For some reason we've always avoided this particular lake because people have always said it's dirty. Well, it's not! We think perhaps they say it so others don't go there so they have have it to themselves LOL.

So it was the family; myself, hubby, kiddo, sis-n-in-law, 2 nieces and a niece's boyfriend. We were enjoying the water, tubing and playing. Then it was lunch time!

We found a little 'peninsula' that was uninhabited, kind of a 'private beach' you could say and we made up camp. The little ones played and swimmed and we kicked back and munched some lunch.

One thing about Nevada is dry air, it's nearly impossible to eat a sandwich before the dry air sucks the moisture out of your bread. By the time I got to the end of my sandwich, it was almost like it was toasted. So I tossed the bread onto the shore line knowing some critter would enjoy a snack later.

Within 2 seconds, there was a Seagull.

Mind you, we are hundreds and hundreds of miles from any sea. And there is a Seagull.

We figured he was a straggler, out and about looking for a snack. Well, the hubby thought maybe he should have more... so he tossed him a handful of cornchips.

Within 2 seconds, there were 20 Seagulls.

Everyone started giggling, I started shuddering. They all joined in and started tossing more chips to the poor, hungry Seagulls...
Within 2 seconds, there were 200 Seagulls.

I kid, you, not. 200 Seagulls, squaking, swirling around, diving, attempting to be the first to get the chips. As I sat there, in my chair, with a sweat shirt over my head and holding my soda pop under 'cover' I thought how our little 'private beach' peninsula must appear to those across the lake as we were bombarded and dive bombed by oodles of Seagull scrounging.

Now I can't blame the birds, I love birds, I blame my goofy family for thinking it'd be 'nice' to hand out a few chips. I also blame myself, for tossing a little piece of bread crust, for some creature to enjoy at a later time.

The lesson in this story is that all actions lead to 'something' no matter if it's good or bad. Sometimes we need to pause and think about an action we take as it may lead to a potentially undesired result...



Here's a little video coverage of the event so you can see how fast they came!
~Alethea Anderson
Another Day in the life of this Mom...