Tuesday

Leadership, Helping Others Succeed : Do you give a Hand OUT or hand UP?

As a Leader in the MLM industry, myself and other leaders have often had conversations about what kind of help is the most beneficial, and which type of assistance is actually harmful in the long run.

When I first got started in this industry I'd actually DO the work for people.  I'd build their websites for them, if they had no product I'd give some to them, if they were out of catalogs I'd hand them right over. If they had questions I'd provide them the answer within a matter of minutes.

I thought I was doing them a favor by giving away the farm!  I quickly learned a lesson, I was training these team members to want a hand out vs coaching them to seek a hand up when they needed one.

I'd have people who soon 'expected' hand outs.  They 'expected' answers within moments and would become stressed and upset if I were not availble that very second!  If I did not answer my phone, they'd call and call and call and leave message after message after message in a panic.

I created monsters!!!

I was not actually helping them one bit, I was actually making them help-less by creating a 'need' and not empowering my team members with the confidence to take the steps to get from where they were to where they wanted to be.

What do I mean by Hand OUT vs Hand UP?
  • A hand out would be when someone said they needed 'just one' catalog, so I'd pay postage out of my pocket to mail one right out. 
  • A hand out would be when someone asked a question like 'what is corporate's phone number' and I'd just give it to them. 
  • A hand out would be when someone would want me to do the work FOR them, and I would....
Now the difference in showing someone the way, vs just saying "here ya go"
  • A hand up would be when someone needed 'just one' catalog but instead I show them where catalogs can be ordered in the back office, plus give them ideas on how to successfully use the catalogs by lifestyling their business and/or booking parties and events.
  • A hand up would be when someone asks a question like 'what is corporate's phone number' and I guide them to where it is located on their website.
  • A hand up is when someone asks me to do the work FOR them and I offer advice and tips and offer to review the work once they've completed it.
I can honestly say that not ONE person who I 'handed out' to is still in the business.  They always quit.  Often those seeking hand outs have short lived careers in this industry as they are constantly seeking the 'easy button' and they don't have the passion or persistence to keep moving forward.

So an important Leadership Tip is to give a hand UP not a hand OUT.  Be there for your team members as a coach and leader.  Be there as a guide and a trainer.  But don't do the work FOR them.  Show them the sources, help them with the tools, teach them the way to utilize the tools properly.

We each have the same tools, it's the person holding the tool that makes the difference.  Only passion and persistence will win in this industry!  Keep moving forward!

Alethea Anderson
Hand UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment