Friday

Why Don't People WANT to Work?

As part of my job, I hire people.  It never ceases to amaze me how people don't actually want to work.  In the past year I have had many people whom seem eager for a position, yet once they start working everything changes.

The job is not important enough to them.  They do not value the job.  They must not need the money.   I don't know what it is, but it astonishes me.  

It is frustrating when you hear the news talking about people needing jobs, yet these same people don't take them.  I've had openings for over a year straight in the Northern California Bay Area.  The media say there are no jobs, there are, thousands and thousands - right here.  On the flip side of that, I really think people don't want jobs...

These are some of the things I've dealt with:
  • One person at an interview said - "I make more on unemployment."
  • One person hired, then the day of training came to quit saying - "I got another job, I just took this one until a better one came along."
  • One person hired worked for one week, then contacted me to quit and say - "the job is too hard".
  • One person hired decided to just create their own schedule.
  • One person hired logged hours when the job was not being done.
  • One person hired did not show up for work and did not return any communications.
Jobs are out there, jobs are waiting, companies are looking for people whom understand that we do actually work for money.

Things have really changed, a big shift in responsibility, desire, ethics... It used to be someone worked multiple jobs, they did what they needed to do to get by.  Now someone won't take one job at all, even though it's available and waiting!

Alethea Anderson



No comments:

Post a Comment