Tuesday

Windows 8.1 Killed my Lenovo

I came home today and turned on my computer, and I got the blue screen with an error code.  I do a cold reboot and then a black screen pops up reading the words "Lenovo" with a small scrolling circle twirling around the page saying my computer is preparing to repair.  This continued for a half hour... So to Google I headed... Seems I'm not the only one with this issue, seems the only way to fix it is to do a complete restore, which  involves wiping everything off the computer, EVERYTHING that is... 

So I followed instructions, it said it was complete, so I rebooted.

Nope, same thing...

I call Lenovo customer service, computer under warranty... Agent mentioned that I had received the 'blue screen of death' and I thought that was funny as I've been using that term since Window's 98... (ahem)

He said that when the computer was doing the automatic update to 8.1, it fell asleep, basically stopping in the middle, and corrupted the computer.  It is on its way, in a lonely box, via FedEx for repair.

Even the Tech said not to have computers do automatic updates for new Windows updates, he said to wait until everyone else deals with the bugs...

So now I'm on the old Toshiba, the slow computer, the painfully slow computer,  but it works - therefore I blog!

Alethea Anderson
MultiMediaMom.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment